Tuesday, August 13, 2013

             I chose "If I Wanted to CarryAround Bags, I'd Be a Trashman." as my blog post. I would agree with the writer if the facts that he mentioned are true. The writer seems pretty mad about the new Austin ordinance that bans distribution of free plastic bags in Austin retail stores. As an Austinite, I share the same inconvenience and burden (literally) that the writer had to carry, but I don't think the council made a too bad decision on banning the plastic bag and there is still a room for improvement.
             The writer pointed out many cons about not using plastic bags; he mentioned about how the plastics bags are much easier to recycle and takes much less energy to produce than other replacements such as reusable bags. He also mentioned about the behavioral problems that most people have when using reusable bags; many people don't wash their reusable bags, exposing themselves to potentially harmful bacteria. Maybe the behavioral problems that he mentioned was a little bit over said, but the points were very clear. If the statistics are right, using reusable bags isn't too bad.
             I think there should be some moderations between the writer of the blog and the ordinance.  I don't think it's right to completely ban plastic bags, and I also think that plastic bags are, no matter how eco-friendly and cost effective they are, still too harmful if too much of them are being used.  I think the city council should tell the retail stores to come up with their own plan to give out free plastic bags to certain customers. For example, HEB can give out plastic bags to people who buy over hundred dollars since hundred dollar worth of groceries are very hard to carry.

             Plastic bags are very convenient. Not only do I use to carry groceries, I also used them for my trash bags. Maybe we have been using plastic bags too much until the ordinance, but I started to miss the convenience and the economy (that the writer had mentioned) that they bring. If I spent my precious money at HEB, It's my right as a customer to carry those groceries comfortably. I just really hope that the city council moderates the issue. 

No comments: